As we age, sometimes the unwelcome changes to our body (aches, pains and chronic conditions) overshadow the positive aspects of getting older. It’s time to work less and enjoy the freedom to do what we want, when we want.
Our friends at WebMD.com offer these tips to keep active and healthy as we age:
1. Get moving - Exercise regularly to maintain a healthy body and brain.
2. Stay social - Take a class, volunteer, play games, see old friends, and make new ones.
3. Bulk up - Eat beans and other high-fiber foods for digestive and heart health.
4. Add some spice - Add herbs and spices to your meals if medications dull your taste buds.
5. Stay balanced - Practice yoga or tai chi to improve agility and prevent falls.
6. Take a hike - Brisk daily walks this September can bolster both your heart and lungs.
7. Sleep well - Talk to a sleep specialist if you don’t sleep soundly through the night.
8. Beat the blues - If you’ve been down for a while, see a doctor. Depression can be treated.
9. Don’t forget - To aid your memory, make lists, follow routines, slow down, and organize